Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Led Zeppelin - Going to California

Going to California Lyric


Spent my days with a woman unkind,
Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine
Made up my mind to make a new start,
Going to california with an aching in my heart
Someone told me theres a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair
Took my chances on a big jet plane,
Never let them tell you that they're all the same
The sea was red and the sky was grey,
Wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today
The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake
As the children of the sun began to awake
Seems that the wrath of the gods Got a punch on the nose
and it started to flow, I think I might be sinking
Throw me a line if I reach it in time I'll meet you up there
where the path runs straight and high
To find a queen without a king
They say she plays guitar and cries and sings
La la la la Ride a white mare in the foot steps of dawn
Tryin to find a woman whos never, never, never been born
Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams,
Telling myself its not as hard, hard, hard as it seems

Song Note : "The original title was 'Guide To California.' "

"This came from a poem Jimmy Page wrote on a notebook. He found it awhile later and branched off from there."

"This was inspired by Joni Mitchell's 'California'. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were huge fans of hers. When performed live, after the lines 'To find the queen without a king they say she plays guitar and cries and sings,' Plant would often say the name 'Joni'. "

"This was part of Led Zeppelin's fourth album, which was untitled. The album was often called 'ZoSo,' which was Jimmy Page's sign, or 'Led Zeppelin 4'. The symbols were put in due to the lack of a title for the album. "

No comments: