Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Creedence Clear Water Revival - Green River

Green River Lyric


Well, take me back down
where cool waters flow, yeah.
Let me remember the things I love.
Stoppin' at the log where catfish bite,
Walkin' along the river road at night,
Barefoot girls, dancin' in the moonlight

I can hear the bullfrog callin' me, y'all
Wonder if my rope's still hanging from the tree
Love to kick my feet way down the shallow water,
Shoo fly, dragonfly, get back to your mother
Pick up a flat stone, skip it across Green River

Up at Cody's camp I spent my days, oh
With flat car riders and cross-tie walkers
Old Cody, Junior took me over,
Said, "You're gonna find the world is smould'rin."
And if you get lost, come on home to Green River

Song Notes : Tom Fogerty: Green River is really about this place where I used to go as a kid on Putah Creek, near Winters, California. I went there with my family every year until I was ten. Lot of happy memories there. I learned how to swim there. There was a rope hanging from the tree. Certainly dragonflies, bullfrogs. There was a little cabin we would stay in owned by a descendant of Buffalo Bill Cody. That's the reference in the song to Cody Jr. The actual specific reference, Green River, I got from a soda pop-syrup label. You used to be able to go into a soda fountain, and they had these bottles of flavored syrup. My flavor was called Green River. It was green, lime flavored, and they would empty some out over some ice and pour some of that soda water on it, and you had yourself a Green River.

No comments: