Monday, July 7, 2008

The Beatles - Yesterday

Yesterday Lyric


Yesterday
All my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh I believe in yesterday

Suddenly
I'm not half the man I used to be
There's a shadow hanging over me
Oh yesterday came suddenly

Why she had to go I don't know
She wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday

Yesterday
Love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away,
Oh I believe in yesterday

Why she had to go I don't know
She wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday

Song Notes : McCartney wrote some of the lyrics during a 5 hour car trip from Lisbon to Albufeira (in Algarve, south of Portugal), on the 27th of May, 1965, when he was on vacation with Jane Asher. The villa where Paul and Jane stayed was owned by Shadows' guitarist Bruce Welch. Bruce said that when he was packing to leave, Paul asked him if he had a guitar because (Paul) was working on the lyrics since the airport. Said Bruce: "He borrowed my guitar and started playing the song we all now know as 'Yesterday'."

"This is the most covered pop song of all time, over 3,000 versions recorded according to The Guinness Book Of World Records"

"McCartney is the only Beatle to play on this. It was the first time a Beatle recorded without the others"

"The working title was "Scrambled Eggs" until Paul could figure out lyrics"

McCartney has consistently talked about how easy this song was for him to compose. In describing it, he has said "I did the tune easily and then the words took about 2 weeks.

No comments: